University of Suffolk
Tim Greenacre, University of Suffolk
The University of Suffolk prides itself on its positive impact on our regional economy and its compelling offer to business. We partner with a wide range of enterprises in pursuit of the following objectives:
- to contribute to the curriculum and the skills development of our young people and the local workforce;
- to provide skills, leadership development and CPD courses for personal and business growth;
- to generate funding to work with academics to drive research and innovation through the development of new products and services;
- to deliver a large number of business networking events throughout the year;
- to facilitate SME growth – the Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre (IWIC) and the Waterfront Studios offer a diverse and accessible community for enterprising innovators of all types.
We support businesses, small and large, to help them grow and develop through innovation, to save them time and money, to extend their networks and bring them into our community to contribute their knowledge and skills.
Working collectively businesses, students and academics learn how to develop a competitive advantage in an increasingly volatile world, and we value that knowledge exchange very highly.
The targets of the Industrial Strategy for research and development necessitate business and Universities working closer together than ever before. The activities of the IWIC were established in partnership with the priorities of the Economic Strategy for Norfolk and Suffolk, Ipswich Borough Council, Suffolk County Council and other key stakeholders to increase research and innovation, create jobs, increase productivity and support growth.
Our business engagement strategy incorporates a strong commitment to diversity and sustainability in innovation and enterprise through the Suffolk Centre for Female Entrepreneurship (SCFE) and the Suffolk Sustainability Institute (SSI) – themes that underpin all that we are doing within business engagement.
The University is proud to be based in Ipswich – one of the UK’s fastest growing city economies – and delighted to be sponsoring this year’s award for innovation.